WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah -; In a story May 20 about the Susan Powell investigation, The Associated Press reported erroneously the day that Josh Powell committed suicide. It happened on Feb. 5, ...
Informal stockpiles of buried World War II-era munitions were discovered during the cleanup of a Utah chemical depot, an Army spokeswoman said. The Deseret Chemical Depot, a 19,000-acre facility whose Chemical Agent Disposal Facility was closed in 2012, still contains 27 informal dumps where weapons and debris were burned in the years before environmental health hazards were understood. Among ...
OKLAHOMA CITY - Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant is pledging $1 million to the tornado relief in Oklahoma. In the wake of the disaster in Oklahoma the NBA star will pledge the money through his charity The Durant Family Foundation and will match other donations from people through the Red Cross. We always knew Durant was one of the best in NBA, but it also turns out he's one of ...
The Salt Lake City School District's Summer Kindergarten Readiness Program is now open for registration through June ...
PROVO - Almost from the moment he was promoted to head coach at BYU, Bronco Mendenhall spoke occasionally about his future, acknowledging that the fit wasn’t for the long term. And when Mendenhall preferred to sign a shorter deal, speculation grew that he would stay true to his forecast. It turns out that prediction was wrong. The phrase "position mastery" is here to ...
69.5°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the SE at 20.0 MPH Gusting to 27.3 MPH
On a short list of great child movie performances--a list that would also include Nikolai Burlyayev in Ivans Childhood (1962), Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun (1987), Mary Badham in To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense (1999), and Jean-Pierre ... ...
SALT LAKE CITY - A Salt Lake pediatrician accused of killing his ex-wife appeared in court Monday to ask for reduced bail but agreed to postpone the request. Attorneys for John Brickman Wall had asked for a bail hearing to address their motion asking that the doctor's bail be reduced to $100,000. But 3rd District Judge Robin Reese said he would not be making any substantial changes due to ...
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Utah Gov. Gary Herbert says his state does a better job than federal managers and has a bigger stake than the bureaucrats in protecting the natural resources and rugged beauty that drives Utah's outdoor recreation and tourism ...
Police in Utah say they have ended a three-year search for Susan Powell, releasing details of many of the tips they followed to no avail. Her ...
the other night. People need to stop focusing on the individual and start focusing on the music. Obviously, these idiots don't understand powerful lyrics like, "Baby, baby, baby oooh. Like baby, baby, baby nooo. Like baby, baby, baby oooh." You know what I mean? Anything simple happening tonight that these idiots can grasp? - Wendy Trefflemint, ...
The board of directors for Utah's Workers Compensation Fund declared a dividend to be distributed to a majority of policyholders in May. Policyholders can expect to receive 5 percent of their 2012 earned premium. With this distribution, WCF will have returned more than $351 million in dividends to its policyholders since 1992. This equates to nearly 40 percent of operating income, almost ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Strand Palace
I've stayed at this central London hotel many times, so was comfortable in telephoning direct for a reservation. It was ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Salt Lake City SunSalt Lake City Sun – Salt Lake City News, Business & Finance
The Salt Lake City Sun is essentially a local Salt Lake City newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Salt Lake City, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Salt Lake City, Utah, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Salt Lake City Sun.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Country diary Cotehele Tamar Valley Sid Coombe No 1 among this years thick and gorgeous apple blossoms
- Environmental First Nations activists protest at Sarnia oilsands meeting
- Joint Information Environment Serves Warfighters Official Says
- Environmental Working Groups top sunscreens for 2013
- Shell suffers embarrassing shareholder rebellion over executive pay
- Correction Missing Mom-Utah story
- Utah Gov. Herbert rails against federal land management
- OKC Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M pledge to aid tornado victims
- Jason Wright Oklahoma tornado provides opportunity to do Gods work
- Former IRS chief to Congress Cant say how targeting happened
- How the Dow Jones industrial average and other major indexes fared Tuesday
- U.S. stocks close higher on Fed QE comments
- US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Dow SP end at records on Fed officials remarks
- Apples Tim Cook is Wall Street hero for a day
- Stocks touch new highs ahead of Bernanke
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Deadly US Twister Hits Tornado Alley
- Rescuers Searching for Survivors Following Deadly US Tornado
- Kerry Mideast Talks on Syria to Include Russian Call for Involving Iran
- Mediterranean diet may help boost ageing brain power
- Photos Mandel announces retirement
- UTMB gets $5M to study health care for elderly
- Pension plans to change after 2013 legislative session
- Pension gaps at not-for-profit U.S. hospitals growing -Moodys
- Paris Hiltons beau shoves harassing female fan at Cannes
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- IPL Spot-fixing TV star Vindu Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Maarty Broekman wants to work with Alesha Dixon
- Too much time indoors may damage kids eyes
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Salt Lake City Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Correction Missing Mom-Utah story
- Mustard-filled munitions found in Utah desert
- Kevin Durant donates $1M to Red Cross and a look at BYU Utah and USU football
- Salt Lake City School District to run Summer Kindergarten Readiness Program
- Bronco is top dog for BYU