Posted // 2013-06-19 - This Friday, June 21st, the Sun & Moon Cafe in Emigration Canyon will celebrate the Summer Solstice with a wine pairing party. The event will feature Utah's own TWODOG winery, along with dinner and live music provided by Danny Smith (from Building with Legs) and Alexis Rausch. The wine tasting is $15 and will feature four TWODOG wines: Proprietary White Blend, ...
Posted // 2013-06-18 - Everyone has encountered old, mystery chocolate. Sometimes it’s leftover Halloween candy from three years ago. Sometimes it’s a hardly-recognizable M&M found in an old coat pocket. And sometimes, as is the case with archaeologists in southern Utah, it’s over 1,300 years old and it's found in a stash of ancient pottery. The chocolate residue, ...
Brace for scrutiny, Salt Lakers: The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists is holding its 2013 convention here at the end of the month (June ...
Parquet Courts will be performing at The Urban Lounge this evening. Pentagraham Crackers and Koala Temple are also on the bill. The show starts at 9. Tickets are ...
SALT LAKE CITY — New information about diabetes could be life-changing for the millions who live with it, especially those battling Type 1 diabetes. Doctors at Boston Children's hospital have identified the root cause of Type 1 diabetes and hope to use it to better treat it and possibly find a cure. "To find a cure, we really have to locate those cells that are attacking ...
74.9°F Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the SSE at 7.6 MPH Gusting to 23.7 MPH
Tomorrow Never Dies
Well, it's finally happened. The mass media have become so despised that they were turned into the latest supervillain in the 18th installment of the James Bond series, "Tomorrow Never Dies." Whatever happened to insurgent political evils? They're as passe as the Cold War. Slimy South American drug lords? That was back when Timothy Dalton was still holding the Walter PB-K. For today's evil, you do ... ...
HERRIMAN — Nail guns and wood saws can be heard all day long in Herriman's south side. Home construction seems to be a booming business once again in this small city in the southern part of the Salt Lake valley. "We're busy," said a man with a nail gun, making sure his 2x4's measured together perfectly. A man with A wood saw would probably say something ...
OREM — What seemed like a good deal on an iPhone 5 for an Orem woman turned into a great deal for a scam artist. Someone approached the woman in a parking lot and offered her a new iPhone for a good price. She found out the hard way that just because it looks like an iPhone doesn't necessarily mean it is. "Don't fall for this scam," said Lt. Craig Martinez with ...
BOISE, Idaho (AP) - An Uzbek refugee accused of terrorism-related crimes in Idaho and Utah has a new lawyer whose resume includes successfully defending a man accused of murdering a federal agent and helping free a Saudi college student charged with working for a group funneling money to terrorists. A federal judge appointed Charles Peterson to take over Fazliddin Kurbanov's defense. ...
While speaking on the House of Representatives floor Tuesday during debate on the 20-week abortion ban, Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Wis.) said Miss Utah Marisa Powell may have been on to something with ...
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A skydiver died after trying to avoid an obstacle and taking a hard landing at Tooele Valley Airport, officials said Tuesday. The 30-year-old woman was found unconscious but breathing Sunday with head, neck and leg injuries, said Tooele County Chief Deputy Sheriff Duke North. She was taken to University of Utah Hospital for surgery but didn't survive, he said The ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Sheraton Abu Dhabi Resort & Towers
I have spent time at the Sheraton in Abu Dhabi previously, in the restaurants and the tavern pub, but hadn't ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Salt Lake City SunSalt Lake City Sun – Salt Lake City News, Business & Finance
The Salt Lake City Sun is essentially a local Salt Lake City newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Salt Lake City, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Salt Lake City, Utah, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Salt Lake City Sun.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Community radio reporters acting as climate change communication agents in Central India
- Parenting and home environment can influence kids health
- Over 100 Chinese held for environmental pollution
- Why Im an Eco worrier | Ian Marchant
- China to continue improvement of investment environment official
- Twitter reaction U.S. mens soccer team beats Honduras all but locks up World Cup bid
- Sports briefs Championship exemption for Blair WSU and UVU athletes qualify
- High school football Reigning Mr. Football Austin Kafentzis commits to Gary Andersen Wisconsin
- United States striker Jozy Altidore on a scoring frenzy but still thinks he can get better
- Brad Rock Taking American soccer to heart
- No breakthrough in talks between UK and Ecuador over Assange
- Leaders of G8 call for peace in Syria and pledge humanitarian aid
- Afghans break off talks with US on security deal
- Obama to propose further U.S. Russain nuclear arms cut
- Afghanistan calls off talks with U.S. on security agreement
- New drug offers new hope for AMD sufferers
- Older males make better fathers
- General Motors recalls 231000 SUVs over fire risk
- Chidambaram for mobilsation of resources from insurance and pension sector for IDFs
- Zamaaan a visual archive of Middle East memories and nostalgia
- Google spending $7mn to fight child pornography
- Yahoo follows Facebook and Microsoft in publishing US govt sought snoop data
- General Motors recalls 231000 SUVs over fire risk
- Why Doesnt Snowden Tell Us North Koreas Game Plan
- What Should Reform Conservatives Say And Do About Jobs
- Model Caprice Bourret set to star in reality show
- Cricket Australia rejects Channel Nine claims of influencing team selection
- Angelina Jolie stunt double sues News Corp over phone hacking
- US Taliban to have direct peace talks
- Snoop gear in set-top boxes may soon monitor TV viewers every move
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Salt Lake City Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Wine Wednesday Sun Moon + TWODOG Wine
- The Oldest Stalest Chocolate Ever Has Been Found in Utah
- Pat Bagley Editorial Cartoonists Convention
- Glad You Asked Parquet Courts Jamestown Revival and More
- Doctors make breakthrough in Type 1 diabetes cure