Intellectual property theft is supposedly costing the United States more than US$300 billion each year. A study in the US has shown this is equivalent to all US exports to Asia. The 11-month study by a Congressional Commission found that software and other product theft was on an unprecedented scale. Commission co-chair Jon Huntsman, the former US ambassador to China, told reporters the ...
The Venezuelan government has vowed to end a toilet paper shortage in the country. With the commodity in high demand, Venezuela's National Assembly has said it will agree to the importation of 39 million rolls of toilet paper. Toothpaste and soap are also on the Venezuelan shopping list following a chronic shortage brought on by currency controls, which have restricted the landing of ...
Forbes has listed the world's most powerful woman for 2013 as Angela Merkel. She has become Forbes' number one for the 8th time. This year the list featured 8 heads of state, including the German Chancellor. Other women listed were two new billionaires to the list, women's clothing designer Tory Burch and Spanx's Sara Blakely, who both own their own companies. They were two of 24 ...
WASHINGTON - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation Friday announced the planned separation of the $76-billion conglomerate into two distinct publicly traded companies, with one to be renamed 21st Century Fox and the publishing firm to retain the News Corp brand. The split has been formally approved by the Board of Directors. The Company announced appointments to the Boards of Directors of both ...
The Vatican Bank has been the subject of a 10 page report from its newly formed financial watchdog agency. The report has revealed that there were some attempts last year to use the bank to launder money. In 2012 there were six suspicious transaction reports, two of which were passed on to Vatican prosecutors for investigation. Autorita Informazione Finanziaria, the watchdog, was ...
68°F Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the ESE at 7 MPH Gusting to 8.0 MPH
The Night of the Hunter [Blu-Ray]
Like most films that experiment with conventions, push boundaries, and muddy otherwise comfortable demarcations of tone, style, and genre, Charles Laughtons The Night of the Hunter was not particularly well received when it was first released in 1955. Neither audi ... ...
Friday was to be his company retirement party at Alcoa Technical Center in Upper Burrell, where he worked for almost 36 years. Bergstrom most recently was the manager of Buildings and ...
PARKERSBURG- United Bank had another successful year in 2012 as it continued to increase earnings to shareholders, the chairman and CEO told shareholders Monday. United Bankshares Inc. officials, at the annual meeting of shareholders Monday at the Blennerhassett Hotel, said the company was able to continue to thrive in the economic conditions brought on by the Great Recession of 2008. "We ...
In Cass, St. Louis, Otter Tail and Aitkin counties -- the most active lake home markets in the state -- the average price has increased 3 to 5 percent since last spring, according to Trulia, a national real estate research and listings firm. But it's the high-end vacation home that is seeing the biggest increase in ...
to replace him as CEO has had many people questioning his judgment - that is, until last week. Although Jobs groomed Cook for years, Cook’s public persona often fell flat: His attempts at mimicking Jobs’ much-watched keynotes came off as one-notes.The fact that Apple stock has skidded 21 percent in the past year added to the perception that Cook might not be up to the job. That image ...
TECH CORNER Are you constantly going over the limit of your cellphone’s data plan and then having to pay for the overages? You might want to check out Onavo Extend, a mobile app that compresses your data, allowing you to do five times more with your phone on your current plan.The app takes data you receive from the Internet and compresses it in Onavo’s cloud-based service. That ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Mantra on Jolimont, East Melbourne, Australia
Right from our arrival the Mantra on Jolimont had an air of friendliness, and a sense that the property was ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Salt Lake City SunSalt Lake City Sun – Salt Lake City News, Business & Finance
The Salt Lake City Sun is essentially a local Salt Lake City newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Salt Lake City, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Salt Lake City, Utah, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Salt Lake City Sun.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Chiles indigenous fight worlds largest gold miners to protect environment
- Why worrying about food miles is missing the point
- Britain resists EU bid to set new target on renewable energy
- Chile Pascua-Lama Mine Halted for Environmental Offences
- International Day For Biological Diversity Highlighted By Greenpeace
- In our opinion Leading an economic recovery requires frugality nimbleness
- Quarterback Everett Golson is no longer enrolled at Notre Dame | College football
- Rancher in middle of water feud
- Hot Hawpe helps Salt Lake Bees beat Las Vegas 51s end 3-game skid
- Real Salt Lake Alvaro Saborio scores in return but RSL is forced to settle for 1-1 draw with Chicago
- Suspected international arms dealer joins Bout in America
- Court rules against tough sheriff
- UK defends security services over Woolwich murder
- Bill Clinton congratulates Eva Longoria
- Mets ace Matt Harvey dating Victorias Secret model Anne V
- Brit school offers bra lessons for girls aged 11
- Gallup In U.S. private sector older workers better utilized
- ATV crash kills elderly man in Scott County
- Mayor Given Use of Older City Car Office
- Retirement could be bummer for many boomers
- Powerful women join Forbes list
- How Bayern Munich Beat Borussia Dortmund To Win The 2013 Champions League
- 5 Places For Your Cash Instead Of Money Markets Treasurys
- Direct antibody injection boosts cancer therapy
- Thousands Of Jailed Russian Oligarchs May Finally Walk
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- Married to Jonas is therapy for Kevin Jonas
- Report MI5 Tried to Recruit Woolwich Murder Suspect
- Senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma killed by Maoists in Chattisgarh
- Lena Dunham slams X-rated parody of hit series Girls
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Salt Lake City Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Long ball cant save 51s in loss to Salt Lake
- MLS Chicago 1 Real Salt Lake 1
- Westgate Hotel offers travelers luxurious stay
- 24-year-old killed in motorcycle crash
- Rollover on I-15 injures driver